3.7.13

Chicago meats my mouth



What has two thumbs and went to Cubby's yesterday?

This guy did.

Cubby's lives right next to Little Caesar's and the Coffee Pod. Despite it's janky location, it's actually kind of a swanky place to eat. I saw old people, fat people, muscular people, skinny people, pretty people, little people, and cool people while eating there. Needless to say, it caters to a lot of tastes.

The specialty here is MEAT, specifically Chicago-style BEEF. What does that mean? I don't even know, but I do know that Chicago is the capital of Illinois.

I went with my two sisters, their husbands, and my niece and nephew. My favorite one in the company was my niece because she was the cutest and she let me hold her.


Sister #1 was all like, "I'm gonna get the Cockadoodledoo Sandwich," (grilled chicken sandwich with greens, Swiss cheese, grilled onions, tomatoes, and avocado) and I thought that sounded totally good because I'm wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy partial to avocado, but I didn't want to be a copycat, so I ordered the the Portabella Sandwich (beef burger with marinated and grilled portabella mushroom, grilled onions, greens, tomatoes, and pesto sauce) with rosemary pepper fries.


Let me tell you: I really liked what I ate. It was so good. The beef was way flavorful, but not gross/juicy/raw. I also liked the spidnach mixed in with the greens. It was just a teeny bit surprising and it made the texture of the burger a little bit different from other burgers. I also liked the mushrooms (homeboy served in Russia: got nothin' against mushrooms, they're just a vehicle for more butter). The marinade on them was a teensy bit sweet, but it didn't ruin the overall taste or nothin'. And the grilled onions were perfect: crunchy and oniony. Dang fetch.

The rosemary fries were okay: a hint of rosemary with a satisfying smack of pepper on potato fries.

BUTT: Bro-in-law #1 ordered the sweet potato fries (which I def sampled) and them things were good: crinkle-cut for so to get more fry sauce in each dip and THICK for more chewing action. Gordy liked them and wished he had ordered them instead.



While I didn't eat everything on the menu, I received satisfactory reports from my fam about the Original Mr. Beef Sandwich (that thing was LONG: Bro-in-law #2 couldn't finish), the Cockadoodledoo Sandwich, and the Apple Chicken Pecan Salad (sister #2 LOVED the candied pecans).

Thinking about this food makes me want to spend money and eat it again, BUTT I'm too cheap/healthy to do that.  But if Chicago tastes like anything that Cubby's tastes like, I want to visit it in my mouth some day.

1 comment:

  1. I am just going to keep assuming that all of your errors are intentional and intended to be ironic. Otherwise I'll lose my mind constantly telling you that Springfield is the capital of Illinois, etc., etc.

    ReplyDelete