11.8.15

I explain my relationship with cats

I'm gonna come clean and let you all know what I really think about cats. It all starts two years ago.

Two years ago, I had a great idea for a party. I realized the only reason people come to parties is to eat food (duhhhhhhh), so I had the idea to throw a food-themed party (basically, I'll bring some food, you bring some food and we'll eat it -- genius party idea!!).

Also two years ago, I'd just gotten a space phone. I'd gotten into the habit of writing my great ideas in my new phone, which had the futuristic ability to turn human speech into text. BUTT, with this talk-to-text technology, you had to say "comma" if you wanted to insert a comma.

Anyway, so I was real excited about this cool food party idea and I wanted it to be written in all capital letters, so I said to my space phone: "ALL CAPS FOOD PARTY." Unfortunately or fortunately (you be the judge), my space phone didn't understand quite what I was trying to say, so it wrote, "Cat food party." I thought, "Lol," dropped the "food" idea, and just kept "cat party."

I threw an OFF.THE.CHAIN cat party, complete with a kitty litter cake, decorated with random cat items I found at thrift stores (like stuffed animals and figurines), a raucous game of pin the cat on the cat lady, and an hour's worth of cat videos. Everyone loved and enjoyed.

I swear it's a cake.

Cat face paint, pin the cat on the cat lady.
After that, I guess people thought I really, really liked cats. I started getting at least 10 cat videos/pictures shared on my Facebook wall daily and people would make jokes about me turning into a cat lady. Since I thought it was funny and since I "lack a noticeable personality" (according to some jerk from Tinder), I took the cat lady persona and ran with it.

An old FB status. Obviously digging myself into a hole.
I mean, things got out of hand and I regret it now. I followed more cats than people on Instagram (like Grumpy Cat, Colonel Meow, Lil Bub, Hamilton the Hipster Cat, okay I'm gonna stop now). I shared a lot of cat pictures and videos. People started giving me cat T-shirts. One Christmas, literally everyone in my family gave me cat things for gifts (books, posters, aprons). Random people at work started showing me pictures of their cats.  But I guess that's just life.

This was my Halloween costume last year, so I haven't really been helping myself.
I've been working on distancing myself from cats. I haven't shared a cat picture in four days. I haven't worn a cat shirt in over a week. And I haven't thrown a cat party in five months. So it's getting better.

I'm not saying cats aren't good people, butt I'll admit they're hard to get along with a lot of the time. They're just really distant and only want to cuddle, like, 2% of the time. But they can be cute and I've made friends with some.

Cat the Cat. She's lived with my family for 16 years. I know she's indifferent, but I LOVE her.
Me and a kitten my lil bro found.
Me and a cat that lived outside my apartment for a week (named him Secret Stranger).
I know this might be SHOCKING to a lot of you, butt I had to clear up the misconception. 

No comments:

Post a Comment